Last week, I was walking on promontory point in Magnusson Park and I noticed the madronas had shed a multitude of lovely coppery curls. It cast my memory back, way back when, in summer when Seb took us on foraging hike. She’d said that you could make a dye with madrona bark… Ooooooh… Said my brain(and yes, my brain does speak in bold italics when she’s excited about something).
So, bark in hand:
I hied away home and bubbled and boiled the pretty curls in salted water(according to an onion skin recipe which was the closest I could come on the ‘nets),
adding vinegar at the end for good measure.. The result was disappointingly pale brownishness, so I added some terra cotta clay and redyed the items(including a pair of Sam’s socks ‘cuz he wanted something dyed too and the only white things he owns are sox-no whities for my boy!).
I was rather surprised that we didn’t get that gorgeous rich madrona copper color, but well content with the beautiful cafe au lait of my new pjs!
More dying pics here.